29 November 2007

Snow = :-) Cold = :-(

My blog started out last year as a record of how I was adapting to all things Wisconsin. Living in the Midwest, handling grad school, restraining the urge to commit suicide due to the mid-winter tundra. As a staunch opponent of winter, I often treated my blog as more of a weather-logue, and I have gotten away from that this year. I wouldn't want anyone to think that it's because I approve of winter any more than I ever have before. No, quite the opposite. The last several days have involved a whole lot of "Holy Fuck"s muttered into the scarf wrapped around my mouth. And it's not even that bad yet. This morning was a measly 15 ("feels like" 2).

So in honor of the 100% (!) chance of 3-6 inches of snow this weekend*, a weather recap: This fall has been quite gentle. Aside from the occasional wicked swings (a couple of 80-degree days in October), the daily temperatures have followed a steady drop-off that has hewn closely to recorded averages. Still... there's a degree or two, I think it's about 33, where suddenly it's cold. Damn cold. The wind kicks off the lake, and even when I'm crossing the street in front of HCW I'm thinking maybe it's just not worth going in today.

That happened. And I'm sad. Expect many more snow totals and wind chills in posts to come. Also, page counts. It's snow season and term paper season. Everything is happy!

* Source: weather.com, a notorious coterie of liars and charlatans.

No comments: